The internet has been woven into our lives and you will hardly find people who can live without the internet. People board the platform of information sharing as it has become essential for living today. But unfortunately, as everything comes with a price, we too have to pay the price of being so dependent on the internet. The more we become dependent on the internet, the more we are exposed to the risk of being robbed of our personal data and identity to hackers and snoopers. There is someone always watching our activities on the internet and waiting for the opportune moment to swindle our identities and personal data. It is true that hackers and data thieves are having a field day. Indeed it is a serious concern but there is no need to panic because there are security systems available that can make your internet experience safe and protect your personal data from the prying eyes of hackers and unscrupulous online identity theft. Understanding the modus operandi of the intruders and knowing about the safety procedures will make it easy to find out the means of protection from online identity theft.
Hackers and online identity theft constitute the under belly of the internet world. They are smart, agile, armed to the teeth with technical weapons and always on the hunt for internet users,ready to strike by accessing personal data without the knowledge or consent of internet users. And how would you feel when you discover that you have been hit below the belt? Surely you would despise the unethical act that defies all acceptable norms of rational human understanding and could well be compared with a criminal activity like stealing. You would feel hard hit when you discover that someone else has surreptitiously infiltrated into your internet world and has accessed your data and identity details. The most intriguing question is why online identity theft and hackers are interested in your personal data?
The motive of hacking
There are three distinct reasons why unwarranted infiltration seems so attractive to hackers.
- The first reason is that it satisfies their ego of being technically superior to beat all security protocols. They would like to let the world know about their technical might in overcoming all firewalls and security barriers that have been set up to make internet browsing safe and secure. Websites are defaced to express their resentment and displeasures and are rendered inaccessible to actual users by flooding it with requests for large volumes of information for databases and servers. This class of hackers, known as online activists is often termed as hacktivists in internet parlance.
- The second reason for online identity theft is related to criminal intent. Information that has been obtained illegally is sold for money and it is indeed a big sum that one can expect from such transaction. Classified and sensitive data related to government, military and political parties are the main target of such hackers that are sold internationally at a fabulous price.
- The third reason is to use personal data for malicious reasons and to fake identities and access bank accounts to swindle funds. With online shopping gaining popularity, this is a growing menace.
Your IP address which is your online identity is the most vulnerable element that exposes you to threats of hackers. When you are surfing the internet, your identity is revealed to hackers who use it to access your personal data through high tech means. The problem is that none of the security protocols or firewalls can conceal your IP address when you are surfing but that is the only way to evade the prying eyes. This can only be possible if you are using VPN that is truly a private network in the true sense of the term.
Best protection against online identity theft
Accepting the fact that you have to live with the threat of online identity theft, there are ways of online identity theft protection that one should know to stay online without the fear of being attacked by intruders. The best online protection is possible only through VPN service that is offered by many private companies. This is the most secured way of exchanging data on the internet while your identity remains undisclosed and thus you remain out of reach of the prying eyes of data robbers and hackers. You remain invisible to others while you are using the internet. This is only possible by using Virtual Public Network (VPN) that uses technology to conceal your identity while you stay online and protect yourself from online identity theft.
Hackers and data robbers make use of the IP address of internet users to access data. When you are downloading anything from a secured or unsecured website your data is likely to be accessed by that website for which you should be prepared. Your data does not remain secure at all when you are accessing the internet. All these issues are adequately addressed by using VPN. Moreover, it keeps your identity anonymous which gives you protection from online identity theft.
Benefits of using VPN
- Secured surfing – Stay protected from identity theft when undertaking financial transactions online as your Wi-Fi connection is encrypted.
- Remove blockade – You can overcome any geographic censorship and be free to access any website.
- Complete privacy – Your browsing activities are completely encrypted and you stay anonymous and protected from prying eyes.
- Easy set up – VPN application is easy to set up and it is convenient to switch between VPN protocols.
- Portability – VPN connectivity is completely portable as it can be run from USB keys or any other portable device.
- Compatibility – It works on all kinds of devices – Mac, PC, iPhone/ iPad, Linux and Android